Menu Contact

Speed a major factor in car crashes according to NTSB

According to a study from the National Transportation Safety Board, speed has led to an increase in traffic deaths in Georgia and throughout the country. The agency believes that a driver who is speeding is similar to one who is drunk. Both types of motorists are likely to get into accident, and both are likely to hurt or kill someone as a result.

The key difference between drunk drivers and those who speed is that there is less of a stigma surrounding speeding. One NTSB recommendation would be to increase the penalties for speeding to match those a driver receives for driving while impaired. Research has shown that the speed at which a pedestrian is hit has an impact on the odds of surviving it. After being struck by a car going 30 miles per hour, a person has a 60 percent chance of survival. A person who is hit by a vehicle traveling 40 miles per hour only has a 40 percent chance of surviving the collision.

The study noted that speed cameras may work as tools to enforce speed limits. However, they are illegal in several states. While changes in road design may also force drivers to reduce their speed, some have complained about increasing commute times and other inconveniences.

A person who is injured in a collision caused by a speeding driver could be entitled to compensation for medical bills and other costs. Lost wages during the recovery period could also be sought in a settlement or jury award. An attorney can use physical evidence at the scene of a crash to help determine a driver's speed at the time of the collision.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  1. Testimonials

    “He was a great lawyer for my lawsuit. He provided great information about my case and was prompt with any changes during the whole process. He worked very hard in getting me best deal. I would use his services again.”

    - James Wright

  2. Testimonials

    "Jason handled two cases for me, one in Cherokee County and the other in Fulton. He honored a two year old promise to handle the 2nd one for free. He did a great job on both and I'd recommend his services to anyone needing legal assistance. He honors his word and understands the law."

  3. Testimonials

    "Jason kept me informed on the status of my case. He thoroughly explained what my options were and the benefits / drawbacks of each option. I highly recommend Jason if you have need for an attorney."

    Robert Thigpen III

Contact Us Today For The Help You Need

There are hundreds of attorneys in metro Atlanta who would love to have your business. The choices can sometimes seem overwhelming, but I can tell you this: Nobody is going to work harder to earn your respect and do right by you and your family than me and The Carnell Law Firm, LLC. You don't have to take my word for it; look over the testimonials from clients who have been satisfied with my work on their behalf, and explore my website to learn more about me and my practice. Then contact my firm online or call us for a free consultation at 770-729-4809. I look forward to hearing from you.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

4056 Wetherburn Way NW, Ste 3
Peachtree Corners, GA 30092

Phone: 770-729-4809
Fax: 770-308-4226
Peachtree Corners Law Office Map